Obama administration moves forward with unique internet ID for all Americans, Commerce Department to head system upGet ready for your embedded chips folks!
President Obama has signaled that he will give the United States Commerce Department the authorityover a proposed national cybersecurity measure that would involve giving each American a unique online identity. Other candidates mentioned previously to head up the new system have included the NSA and the Department of Homeland Security, but the announcement that the Commerce Department will take the job should please groups that have raised concerns over security agencies doing double duty in police and intelligence work. So anyway, what about this unique ID we’ll all be getting? Well, though details are still pretty scant, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, speaking at an event at the Stanford Institute, stressed that the new system would not be akin to a national ID card, or a government controlled system, but that it would enhance security and reduce the need for people to memorize dozens of passwords online. Sorry, Locke, sounds like a national ID system to us. Anyway, the Obama administration is currently drafting what it’s dubbed the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, which is expected at the Department of Commerce in a few months. We’ll keep you posted if anything terrifying or cool happens.
This is not okay.
25 Notes/ Hide
- sch1stocerca reblogged this from drinkthe-koolaid
- younosonofmine reblogged this from idcaboutostriches and added:
- heloiseagrippina likes this
- pandaface reblogged this from shawnblog
- hap-penis likes this
- californiadaydreaming reblogged this from drinkthe-koolaid
- amiabirdnoimabat reblogged this from idcaboutostriches
- tumblklaat likes this
- apsies likes this
- richardlc likes this
- drinkthe-koolaid reblogged this from blissandzen and added:
- sp-a-m likes this
- jakke likes this
- dartt reblogged this from ilovemuffins- and added:
- blissandzen reblogged this from shawnblog and added:
- jessicahlam reblogged this from idcaboutostriches and added:
- thedragonwithinthebat reblogged this from shawnblog and added:
- ilovemuffins- reblogged this from idcaboutostriches and added:
- thumbsupyourasshole likes this
- above--the--ignorance said:does this basically mean that internet anonymity is gone now?
- shawnblog reblogged this from idcaboutostriches and added:
- idcaboutostriches posted this